System Engineer (Structure & Mechanical) at National Research Foundation
Permanent Intermediate EE position
Pinelands, Cape Town, Western Cape
Market Related salary
Job 2018134 | Ref 2393
Posted 07 Jun 2017
About the Position
SKA SA has a vacancy for a System Engineer (Structure & Mechanical) in our African (VLBI) Networks division. The key focus of this role is to manage development and integration activities for Antenna Structure Subsystem to ensure subsystem requirements are met within cost and schedule.
Minimum education requirement:
- B.Eng in Mechanical Engineering
Minimum work experience required:
- 5 years
Duties and responsibilities:
- review technical procurement specification(s) for completeness and compliance with higher level system requirements
- arrange and chair development reviews and ensure review closures
- manage system compliance making use of Validation and Verification maturity tracking
- identity and manage system risks and mitigation actions
- creating/ reviewing system block diagrams
- creating/ reviewing interface diagrams and documentation
- creating/ reviewing Qualification test procedures and reports (QTP/R)
- creating/ reviewing Acceptance test procedures and reports (STP/R)
- documentation and design evolution configuration management
The ideal candidate will have the following competencies:
- manage requirements traceability from Systems Requirements Documents to qualification and acceptance test procedures
- derive antenna structure subsystem requirements from top level requirements and system description
- ensure integration of subsystem into overall system
- allocate system budgets for critical performance requirements
- mechanical/ electrical system design and integration
- systems engineering and requirements management
- chairing of design reviews
- system safety (e.g. Functional Hazard Analysis)
- mechanical engineering design
- servo drive control systems
- monitoring systems
- large, dynamic structures
About The Employer
The South African SKA Project (SKA SA) is a project of the Department of Science and Technology(DST), administered by the National Research Foundation(NRF). SKA SA is responsible for coordinating Africa's involvement in the design and construction of the Square Kilometre Array Radio Telescope, the design and construction of the Karoo Array Radio Telescope (MeerKAT) and the African VLBI Network (AVN), as well as the development of skills required to design, build and operate these instruments.
As a business unit of the NRF, SKA SA is committed to employment equity and redress.
This is a permanent position.
Please note that shortlisting will commence 10 October 2016 however applications will be considered until a successful appointment has been confirmed.
This job may be removed before it expires.
Get jobs via email
Receive a daily digest of all new jobs matching this job. Your information is safe with us and you can cancel at any time