Manager: Media and Internal Communications at National Research Foundation
Permanent Management position
Market Related salary
Job 2111180 | Ref 2584
Posted 09 Jun 2017
About the Position
The National Research Foundation (NRF) supports and promotes research and human capital development through funding, provision of the National Research Facilities and science outreach platforms and programmes to the broader communities in the fields of science and technology, including natural sciences, engineering, social sciences and humanities
The National Research Foundation (NRF) is looking to appoint a strategic and creative individual to occupy the position of a Manager: Media and Internal Communications. The primary purpose of this challenging position is to build and promote an appreciation of the work done by the NRF in helping transform South Africa into a knowledge intensive economy and society. The successful applicant will take responsibility for media relations, staff engagement and building a positive reputation for the NRF among its external stakeholders.
- Play a leading role in the development and execution of the NRF's integrated marketing and communications strategy.
- Work with NRF business unit/ National Facilities to ensure their communication is consistent with the organisation's communications strategy and reflects the organisation's strategic vision.
- Oversee the organisation's media relations and leverage those to build and maintain a positive reputation for the organisation.
- Lead the NRF's engagement and activities on all social and online media platforms
- Prepare responses, media releases, editorial articles and speeches to help position the NRF in line with its strategy.
- Plan and manage organisational events and exhibitions
- Establish an internal communications strategy , and ensure organisational initiatives and projects are successfully communicated to employees
- Establish and oversee execution of the organisation's social responsibility programmes
Key Minimum Requirements
- A Degree in Communications/Journalism/Marketing. (A background in science, technology or innovation (STI) would be an added advantage).
- 5- 8 years solid experience in media & marketing/ corporate communications/ stakeholder relations.
- Strong conceptual, strategic and analytical abilities.
- An understanding of the National System of Innovation.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Professional and high quality writing skills
- Good understanding of how the media functions and has established an active media network.
- Good project and people management experience
- A broad understanding of the relevant functions in the media and marketing, public relation and stakeholder relations space.
The NRF is committed to Employment Equity and redress. Communication will be conducted with the shortlisted candidates only.
The ideal candidate will have the following competencies:
- align corporate communication with strategic marketing objectives
- communicate effectively in writing
- communicate verbally at all levels
- manage and lead a team effectively
- manage high level relationships
- project management
- internal communications
- media relations , marketing and corporate communications
- reputation management
- various social media platforms
- scince and technology sector
- utilisation of research output and information
Employer & Job Benefits
- Medical Aid
- Group Life
This job may be removed before it expires.
Get jobs via email
Receive a daily digest of all new jobs matching this job. Your information is safe with us and you can cancel at any time