Mechanical Design Draughtsman at National Research Foundation
Permanent Intermediate EE position
Faure, Cape Town, Western Cape
Market Related salary
Job 2142709 | Ref 2668
Posted 07 Sep 2017
About the Position
Mechanical design and implementation of technical projects. Create CAD models and drawings. Compile technical reports, operation- and maintenance manuals. Attend to Quality Control. Train / coach trainee draughtsmen and students in basic CAD design and ISO drawing standards.
- B Tech (Mechanical / Mechatronics) or equivalent.
- 5 years mechanical design experience in a high precision and industrialized environment using CAD systems (preferable Solid Edge).
- Excellent 3D/2D CAD design and draughting experience.
- Solid track record in the design of fine mechanics and motion control.
Skills & Attributes:
- Good inter-personal and communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and with minimum supervision.
- Familiar with machining and manufacturing processes in mechanical engineering.
- Basic knowledge of pneumatics and vacuum technology.
- Conversant with the Solid Edge CAD package.
- Innovative, creative and positive approach to tasks.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Attention to detail.
Duties include, but not limited to:
- Detail design of new mechanical components and / or systems by means of the Solid Edge CAD software package.
- Apply 3D/2D CAD software knowledge to develop models and design concepts.
- Prepare detailed manufacturing drawings of new- and / or as-built designs.
- Maintain a storage facility and database of all mechanical engineering designs and drawings.
- Work towards improving the efficiency and performance of existing designs, machinery and equipment and systems.
- Assist in fault finding of mechanical components.
- Teach and transfer knowledge and skills to colleagues and students / trainees on all aspects of mechanical design work including CAD principles.
The NRF is committed to employment equity and redress. Correspondence will be conducted with the shortlisted candidates.
iThemba LABS reserves the right to amend and/or withdraw adverts at any time without notification.
The ideal candidate will have the following competencies:
- Ability to work under pressure and with minimum supervision
- Teach and transfer knowledge and skills to colleagues and students / trainees on all aspects of mechanical design work including CAD principles
- Prepare detailed manufacturing drawings of new and /or as-built designs
- Solid track record in the design of fine mechanics and motion control
- 5 years mechanical design experience in a high precision and industrialized environment using CAD systems (preferable Solid Edge)
- Excellent 3D/2D CAD design and draughting experience
- Basic knowledge of pneumatics and vacuum technology
- Conversant with the Solid Edge CAD package
About The Employer
National Research Foundation
The National Research Foundation (NRF) supports and promotes research and human capital development through funding, the provision of National Research /Facilities and science outreach platforms and programmes to the broader community in all fields of science and technology, including science, engineering, social science and humanities.
The iThemba LABS Laboratories for Accelerator Based Sciences is a group of multidisciplinary research laboratories administered by the NRF. Based at the two sites in the Western Cape and Gauteng, these provide facilities for:
- Basic and applied research using particle beams
- Particle radiotherapy for the treatment of cancer
- The supply of accelerator-produced isotopes for nuclear medicine and research
This job may be removed before it expires.
Get jobs via email
Receive a daily digest of all new jobs matching this job. Your information is safe with us and you can cancel at any time